Student Success Fee (SSF)

The Student Success Fee (SSF) is designed to enhance the quality of academic programs and the student experience.  on a given campus. A portion of the fee (10%) is dedicated to enhancing student success through expanded Academic Related Programs. The remaining portion of the fee (90%) is used to increase the number of tenure-track faculty lines and course sections. Academic Related Programs (ARPs) are defined as those activities and programs that extend the formal learning experience in a course or academic program. Examples of ARPs include but are not limited to student colloquia, lecture series, seminars, student projects, student competitions, student forums, student exhibitions, student productions, student performances, and participation at professional conferences.  For more information about SSF-ARP writing workshops, due dates, forms, and contacts, visit the SDSU Student Success Fee website.

The Division of Student Affairs & Campus Diversity manages the SSF Program, where students can apply for SSF funds to support projects they design. SSF funds can be used once projects are approved and the allocated budgets are posted. Please note all expenditure activity must be processed within the annually published year-end guidelines. Below are the types of expenditures that are and are not permitted when using SSF funds.

Types of expenditures are NOT permitted

  • Entertainment, including food, gifts, awards, incentives, hospitality table, and clothing (unless used as a team identifier)
  • No fundraising is permitted
  • Department recruitment costs when a candidate is asked to give a lecture
  • Direct costs to the educational program that should be paid by instructional funds
  • Expenses directly related to offering a course
  • Equipment
  • Per diem costs for Program Advisor travel
  • No SDSU faculty, staff, or students are permitted to be paid as guest/special lecturers or otherwise using SSF ARP funds, with the exception of student travel reimbursement
  • Grant in Aid of any kind, i.e. Scholarships, Grants, Study Abroad or Stipends

Types of expenditures are permitted

  • Supplies
  • Services
  • Communication and Printing
  • Travel, including food, lodging, and mileage.
  • Guest/Special Lectures

Payment Methods

Due to the unique nature of SSF projects and the high degree of student involvement, it is recognized that the normal processes of requisitioning in advance may not always be viable. Therefore, several options are available to purchase the items needed for SSF projects, including the use of Purchase Orders, Procurement Credit Card, Corporate Travel Credit Cards, Advances, Direct Payment Requests, and Reimbursements


Disbursements are processed through the Procure-to-Pay Department via their routine cycles. Payment terms for suppliers are net 30. Payments to individuals may be disbursed via electronic funds transfer. The Direct Deposit Authorization Form on the Procure-to-Pay website may be used for both employee and student reimbursement and may be submitted along with the invoice or Direct Payment Request (DPR).